Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Love, My Valentine

There are varying opinions as to the origin of Valentine's Day. Some experts state that it originated from St. Valentine, a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity. He died on February 14, 269 A.D., the same day that had been devoted to love lotteries. Legend also says that St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it "From Your Valentine". Other aspects of the story say that Saint Valentine served as a priest at the temple during the reign of Emperor Claudius. Claudius then had Valentine jailed for defying him. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honour St. Valentine.

Gradually, February 14 became the date for exchanging love messages and St. Valentine became the patron saint of lovers. The date was marked by sending poems and simple gifts such as flowers.

This year, I’m gonna spend Valentine’s Day …... She’s in India on a mission. Gal on a mission. Cool right. Haha. That means, I get to save money! WOOHOOO. Joking. But seriously, prices during Valentine’s Day is like 1000x more expensive. A stalk of rose which typically cost $0.80 on a normal day would cost a whooping $12 today. Not say its fresher or bigger or more beautiful. It’s the same. Maybe I should just go plant some roses in my garden.

I’m gonna celebrate today enjoying what I have instead of complaining and feeling sad about what I don’t. Though I may not have her with me today, but what I do have is the knowledge that she loves me, always there for me and will never fail me. I’m thinking, maybe I have taken her and other people for granted all too often, and its time for some appreciating to be done.

So it’s the same for our lives, we take too many things for granted; our family, friends, food, shelter, the things that we have etc.. Maybe its time we take some part of today; Valentine ’s Day (supposedly a Christian holiday) to exchange a love message with God. Giving thanks for all that He has done and about to do. It is by His grace that we are saved.

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (New International Version)

You have received mercy, kindness, and unconditional love from our God...
Response: The gift I have received, I will give as a gift.

You have many physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual abilities that can be used to better the lives of others...
Response: The gift I have received, I will give as a gift.

You have people in your life who have believed in you when you did not believe in yourself, people who stood by you in your difficult times...
Response: The gift I have received, I will give as a gift.

Amen




Alrights. *Mushy Alert* not for the weak at heart. Do not look beyond this line if you don’t like those lovey dovey stuffz.


To my dearest:

What is love? Those who don’t like it call it responsibility
Those who play with it call it a game
Those who don’t have it call it a dream
Those who understand it call it destiny
And me? I call it you :)

I asked God for a Rose,
He gave me a garden
I asked God for a drop of water
He gave me an ocean
I asked God for a blessing

He gave me YOU:)

No comments: