Sunday, January 13, 2008

How much is that doggie at the window?

Today's YM lesson was on self-worth. Whilst preparing for it, I reflected on how much i am worth. As i begin to do so, i am reminded of the difference between how the world put a price tag on us and how God values us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Self-esteem may go up or down depending upon what is happening to you. Get an "A" on a test and you feel great, but if you fail you feel terrible. Self-esteem is changeable. Self-worth however differs from self-esteem. Self-worth is what you are born with. As one of the creations of the universe you are worthwhile and have value, which cannot be taken from you. You can’t lose it.

I am a Child of God. ( John 1:12, Galatians 3:26, 28, Romans 8:14-16 )
God loves me and I am part of God’s family (Ephesians 1:4-5)
I am a heir with Christ ( Romans 8:17, Galatians 4:6,7)
I am God’s workmanship and I have a purpose ( Eph 2:10, philippians 1:6)
I have been bought with a price (1 Corin. 6:19-20)

So watcha gonna do about it? (Jeremiah 1 – The calling of Jeremiah)

“The book of Jeremiah depicts a remarkably introspective prophet, a prophet struggling with and often overwhelmed by the role into which he has been thrust. Jeremiah alternates efforts to warn the people with pleas for mercy until he is ordered to "pray no more for this people"


Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.


Believe in God’s Plan.

God told Jeremiah, “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you” (1:5). God designs us just as purposefully, with a specific mission in mind

Believe in God’s Presence.
2x God told Jeremiah, “Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you” (1:8,19) God is telling us the same thing. Jesus would never leave or forsake us. Hey, If God wanna hang out with you, you must be really important.

Believe in God’s Protection
God gave jeremiah 3 images of strength and protection. He said, “ I have made you a fortified city, an iron pillar and a bronze wall” (1:18). In other words, “You are invincible in me!” Problems would come, but Jeremiah would stand. In the same way, Jesus told us that in this world we would have trouble…”but take heart, I have overcome the world.

Behave like you’re worth it.Receiving all this assurances from God makes little difference unless we act on what he says. Jeremiah had to take what God said and live it. He obeyed.

No comments: