Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ask, Seek, Knock

"I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,[7] I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, "I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-- (Revelation 3:15-17 NKJV)

Right next door to Laodicea was the city of Hierapolis, famous for its hot springs, which were said to have healing properties. And a short distance the other way in this arid environment was the city of Colossae, famous for its cold and crystal-clear springs of water, incredibly refreshing to anyone who was thirsty. And right between these two wonderful extremes we have the not-very appealing, lukewarm waters of Laodicea. They don’t bring healing to anyone with their minerals and their warmth but neither do they stimulate and refresh anyone with their coldness and clarity

And how was it for the church in Laodicea? They weren’t hot springs of healing, bringing forgiveness to those who were spiritually dead in their springs. And they weren’t bringing, as Jesus says in Matthew 10, a “cup of cold water” to anyone. (The only other time in the entire New Testament where “cold” is used…and used in a positive way). They were just “there,” comfortable in their church and not realizing that God saw them as, “wretched, pitiful, blind, and naked”

""18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’”

Today I was so encouraged by my group again. God is indeed working in the hearts of the youths. YM was a Bible Study Skills workshop and we were told to discuss and ask if there were any questions or difficulties we have about the bible. I must say that i was impressed at some of the thoughts that are going through the minds of my sec 1 group.

How were the books of the bible compiled?
Do good non-christians go to heaven?

and a few more other questions. I pray as the group and myself attempt to look for answers, God will reveal Himself, His majesty, glory and splendor to all of us who seek Him.

Ask, Seek, Knock

7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8)

No comments: