Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I Am Legend - I am The Great I AM

It was Christmas yesterday. Time was spent in fellowship with brothers in Christ. Watched I Am Legend with them before battling it out in battlefield 2. Though I found the movie really boring and that it could have done much better in terms of action and effects, the movie did bring about some thoughts.

I am Legend - Light up the darkness

Will Smith's character seems like a Christ figure. He is the I Am Legend. God says that He is the great I Am. In the previews Smith is immune to the virus that has effected NYC. He is the only one alive, everyone else is dead. Christ being the only one alive when everyone is dead in sin. And Christ provides the "immunity" to the dead. Smiths character says, "I can help you. I can stop this."

In the movie there are two kinds of people left in the world: Light-dwellers and dark-dwellers. Will Smith is one of the few light-dwellers left in the world. The majority however are crazed zombies who can only come out at night because sunlight will burn and kill them

Towards the end of the movie, (Beware: Plot spoiler!)

Smith comes out as a Christ-figure before the raging zombies, holding up the blood that might cure them if they would only accept it. Smith culminates the Christ-parallel by giving the blood away and then sacrificing himself in order to make the blood available to other people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to over-spiritualise the movie (the movie also have dialouges and imagery of Christianity),

Much like a documentary that can be found on discovery channel, the movie introduces the theme of Light vs Darkness, the foundation of the Christian Faith and interestingly the struggles of a person of faith.

A show that brings out the heart of Christianity amidst the proliferation of meaningless movies.

I rate it 2.5/5 stars though, for the lack of better effects and action. :p

No comments: